Friday, March 14, 2014

Tony Benn (1964-2014)

Like everybody else, I was devastated to hear of the passing of Tony Benn. 

If you were born between 1975 and 1980, Tony was your first true hero in the sport.  I remember watching his fights when I was about 12 years old, awestruck by his incredible passion, commitment and his hard-hitting athleticism.  He was one of a kind, a true British hero - a man who endured everything that Chris Eubank could throw at him, and yet came back for more.

RIP Tony, we will miss you.  



3 comments:

Lee Scammell said...

Tony Benn was not a boxer. That was Nigel Benn!

Anonymous said...

I grew up on the Tony Benn books and television show. With his trademark bowler hat, and his love of dressing up, he lit up the imaginations of a generation of children, myself included. He will be sorely missed.

Larry T said...

(For what little it was worth, that was me.)