Sunday, February 02, 2014

The Show Must Go On

"The last days of a human life are sacred and anointed and must remain free from those who will always exploit legislation to end it before its allotted time".  - Kevin McKenna

I like Kevin McKenna, so I'm going to avoid the usual hoots and snorts that I'd issue to most folk who penned an argument this jam-packed with silliness.

Instead, I'm just going to cut to the chase by noting that while most of the people Kevin describes as "militant atheists" probably don't think that existence is basically arbitrary and meaningless, and that all vestiges of Christianity should be eradicated from Scottish life, I do.  

I do not agree that the last days of human life are "sacred and anointed".  The evidence of my own eyes tells me they're much more likely to be miserable, shit-caked and degrading, and I have one important motivation for my desire to see Christianity and every other faith booted out of public life altogether - because I am at heart a very, very selfish person.

Now, this terrible character flaw grants me a different perspective on matters like these, and it forever impels me towards socially awkward comments like "I don't care what you think" and "I could give a shit if something offends your sensibilities".  This invariably upsets people but, since I'm doomed to perpetual indifference, I don't particularly care about that either.

Since I also possess an active imagination, I have no difficulty envisioning a moment when I might beckon over Nurse Reaper with her big bag of merciful murder-drugs.  Should that moment ever come, the last thing I will want to see blocking her way is Kevin McKenna in a dog collar patting the back of my atrophied, liver-spotted hand and gently chiding me that regardless of my opinion on the matter, the show must go on. 

No comments: