Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In Defence Of Snobbery

That stoopid music post attracted a Tweeted complaint of racism, which is entertaining but misguided.  My primary arsehole behaviour on pop-cultural matters is the much less sinister snobbery.

Mrs. R and various friends have objected continually over the years when I regularly turn my nose up at film (x), album (y) or book (z), but when it comes right down to it, you should have faith in your own gut instinct.  If someone asks you to go see Tomb Raider, it's sending you those Run for your life! signals for a reason.

Seriously, here's how it goes, nine times out of ten:  Hey, Mr. Rodent, fancy going to see 2012?  The special effects look magic.

No thanks, I'll say, that looks like a shite film.

Don't be such a bloody snob, they'll go.  It's just a night at the cinema, what else are you going to do?

The next day, after doing something enjoyable instead, I'll ask How was 2012, then?

Shite, comes the sullen response.  I try not to be rub it in, mind.

I'm the first to admit that this might make me a dickhead, but hey - I'm a dickhead who wasn't bounced into hours of reading The Da Vinci Code, or sitting through Godzilla, so there's an upside.

No comments: