Monday, December 08, 2008

Whittle You Into Kindlin'

Since I'm in a straw man-bayoneting mood tonight, I'll note that I've also heard variations on this argument before, deployed today in the context of the terrorist assault on gun-free Mumbai...

"In January 1909 two such anarchists... tried to commit a robbery in north London, armed with automatic pistols. Edwardian Londoners, however, shot back – and the anarchists were pursued through the streets by a spontaneous hue-and-cry. The police, who could not find the key to their own gun cupboard, borrowed at least four pistols from passers-by, while other citizens armed with revolvers and shotguns preferred to use their weapons themselves to bring the assailants down...

...The arming of the populace guaranteed rather than disturbed the peace."

I suspect that a pistol was an expensive item in 1909, effectively restricting ownership to the wealthy. I imagine that in a new, heavily-armed British Utopia, modern mass production and open competition might tend to, well, democratise the issue.

I wonder if those people who currently have a big boner for gun ownership might think twice when they realise that they don't have eyes in the backs of their heads? After all, I saw that scene in Reservoir Dogs where Tim Roth tried to jack that car, and it didn't turn out well for anyone involved.

Well, we probably wouldn't have to worry so much about the anarchists, I suppose, but it'd certainly liven up those late-night stops at the bank machine.

No comments: