Monday, July 21, 2008

A Plea For Tolerance

I see Sunny Hundal's advising people not to participate in Iain Dale's top blogs competition because he doesn't think it'll be fair... Or so he says, at least.

He's welcome to his opinion, of course, but I can't help but feel that his position might be motivated by simple prejudice. After all, Mr. Dale might be happily gay-married just like the rest of us, but he's also openly Tory.

That shouldn't bother people in this day and age, but we have to admit that it often does.

God knows I understand how people feel - it's an alien world to me too. When I was a youngster, conservative meant averse to change or holding traditional values. Such a nice word, but that was before these so-called Tories took it away from us and twisted its meaning.

Now, when somebody says conservative, rather than thinking of blushing girls in modest dresses and cheap shoes, I find my head filling with all kinds of disgusting imagery - secret, dirty deals done through back channels, as they slip each other thick wads of cash, again and again...

Hey, I don't have a problem with it - whatever floats your boat. I just don't want to see men trading fluid assets when I'm out walking with my dear old mother.

If you ask me, Sunny needs to realise that times have changed, and that such attitudes are unacceptable these days. You and I might find conservatism disgusting, abhorrent and unnatural, but it's ultimately none of our business what a man does with his private sector.

No comments: