Monday, June 09, 2008

In Appreciation Of Culture

Meant to post this at the time, but it slipped my memory...

Musician Hugh Cornwell, on being asked by Nathan Barley-esque music magazine The Word whether his former band the Stranglers would reform...

"What am I going to get out of it? What's in it for me to get on stage with the rest of The Stranglers? What do I get? A cheque? I need something else. What do I need a cheque for?"

"Don't give me the, 'Oh, but the fans will get something out of it.' Fuck the fans. They got 17 years out of us. What do they want, Blood?"

There's no getting away from it - I just admire honesty, even brutal honesty... Having watched Perry Farrell try to convince a crowd of pissed Glaswegians that he loves Tennent's Lager, despite the fact that every pint tastes like there's a rusty nail sitting on the bottom of the glass, I know bullshit when I see it.

Incidentally, on the subject of honesty - those who are always demanding that politicians should give the public their true opinions should take note of what happened to Scotland's Justice Minister recently when he unwisely referred to the country's leading alcoholic urine product as "cooking lager".

His reward for sharing this obvious truth with the public? He was forced make a grovelling public apology to Tennent's and pressganged into quaffing the foul stuff on camera.

If it had been me, I'd have taken the easy option and resigned.

All I can say is it's lucky for him that McEwan's don't make their hideous lager any more. That stuff smelled like a wet dog and, for all I know, probably tasted nicer coming out than it did going in.

No comments: