Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How Not To Counter Scottish Nationalism

A surprising initiative from Lord Goldsmith today, who recommends that schoolkids should be made to swear allegiance to Britain and the Queen.

It's fallen to Scottish energy minister Jim Mather to give the devolved government's response to this suggestion, presumably because all the other SNP ministers were too busy high-fiving each other, swilling champagne and smoking massive cigars.

Those that aren't still doubled up on the floor breathless with hysterical laughter, that is.

I'm stunned that Jim Mather managed to keep a straight face when the reporter asked him if it was a good idea... If I'd been him, I'd have managed to say This is an astonishingly brilliant and well-thought-out plan, that should be immediately implemented in all Scottish schools before I cracked up and started pounding the floor and howling like a lunatic.

Honestly, I sometimes wonder what universe our leaders inhabit. I've no truck with anybody's nationalism*, but I can't imagine any move that Westminster could propose that would be met with more hilarity north of the border.

If Wee Gordon Broon and his cohort want to foster a stronger sense of British identity in the Celtic fringe, they'd be better advised to stop coming up with initiatives like this, which only serve to expose their total isolation from the actual, existing people of the country.

Good God, can you imagine the reaction when head teachers start sending out letters to parents telling them that their kids will be told to read out the following?

"I ….. swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God."

Hell, forget a referendum on independence, there'd be burning barricades at Gretna by sundown.

*Unless there's football involved. Then, it's compulsory.

No comments: