Sunday, November 11, 2007

W.B. Yeats Ate My Tabloids

I don't want to sound like an old fuddy-duddy here. I've always regarded myself as quite thoroughly modern, but with the appropriate respect for tradition.

If you ask me, too few people are concerned about the pressing problem of inattentive falcons.

Now, you may laugh - but how many of you have ever called to a distracted falcon as it turns and turns in the widening gyre?

Well, I've been there more times than I care to mention, and it isn't pretty - one moment you haven't a care in the world, and before you know it, things fall apart.

The centre cannot hold - my Granddad's generation understood that basic piece of wisdom, and we would do well to remember it.

It may not be politically correct to say it, but if we allow trendy notions of avian freedom to overrule our traditional values, we risk undermining the very virtues that have made this country great.

No comments: