Monday, February 19, 2007

Reality Vs The Internet

Would you believe it, I missed my weekly infusion of raw, paranoid sadism in 24 last night to watch the show about the 9/11 conspiracy theories.

I've never been so disappointed - I was hoping for poorly sourced, irresponsible allegations involving the CIA, the Ayatollahs, OJ Simpson and the twelve industrialists that really run the world. The show was actually a well-constructed, categorical debunking of some of the nuttier theories.

Not that I ever believed that there was any truth in the allegations themselves - there's no way that the Bush administration could've been behind the attacks. After all, the hijackers were successful.

The most interesting revelation in the show was the lengths that people will go to in order to maintain their precious illusions - the worst of them would rather saw off their own heads with a nailfile than admit that their theories might be inaccurate. And believe me, these theories are wild-eyed, mind-bending, gibbering lunacy.

The trouble is, if our leaders won't be straight with us, it merely provides these guys with fodder for their fantasies.

For instance, not long after the attacks, I'm sure I remember Tony Blair vowing never to allow another September 11th after 2001.

Well, I've counted five so far, and there's another one pencilled in for later in the year, so what does that tell us about the Prime Minister?

Exactly.

No comments: