Friday, February 02, 2007

Oops, Butter Fingers

I suppose there's no point crying over spilt milk, but as far as excuses go this one ranks rather lower than "the dog shat on my homework"...

"(Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Shimon) Peres said in an exclusive interview broadcast on Tuesday that the bombs were dropped "apparently ... without the knowledge even of the chief-of-staff".

He told Al Jazeera's David Foster: "To be short and clear, we committed a mistake, regrettably..."


"...During the 34-day war in Lebanon last summer, the UN estimates that around one million cluster bomblets were dropped by Israel in the south of the country, 90 per cent of them in the last 72 hours before a ceasefire took effect."

Well that's okay then. God knows I've made my share of mistakes in my time, so I'm in no position to judge.

There was that time I screwed up and set off the burglar alarm when I was a bar manager, that was embarrassing. Then there was that time I was drunk and set fire to my dressing gown when I was wearing it, and put it out by pouring scalding hot coffee in my lap.

That wasn't very clever.

Then there was the time I ordered a squadron of B-52's to carpet bomb Falkirk into next week, then sent in attack choppers to strafe the rubble. I'll never live that one down.

Honestly, one little mistake and dodgy Middle Eastern TV stations never let you forget it. What about all the towns I didn't destroy?

The Freedom Omelette - That which can't be made without breaking a few eggs

No comments: