Saturday, January 06, 2007

Yet More Mortal Threats To Our Young 'Uns

More evidence, were it even needed, that the internet will confirm your ridiculous worldview, no matter how off-the-wall it is.

Today, the BBC alert us to the serious threat of "pro-anorexia" websites, which eulogise that singularly unpleasant and distressing condition.

Experts say so-called "pro-ana" sites claim to offer support, but actually glorify the diseases and discourage people from seeking medical treatment.

They say these sites give tips on how to lose weight and keep it off, and present the illnesses as normal.


One doctor is urging service providers to shut the sites when they appear.


I don't have a clue how to deal with this, since I'm just some guy with a blog, but I don't think these sites are that threatening to me personally.

Statistically, I'm more likely to be struck by lightning or ripped to pieces by rabid badgers than I am to be killed by deranged anorexics.

No comments: