Thursday, January 11, 2007

Tumbleweeds

I just watched President Bush lay out his strategy for winning the war in Iraq, and boy, am I perplexed.

I thought he was supposed to be a great speaker from a script, pronouncing eloquently to those hungering for freedom the words they didn't even know they wanted to hear.

Well, all I can say is that's a load of BS. I didn't laugh once.

Bush is going to have to work hard on his punchlines, because the gags about the horrors of Iraq being the fault of the natives, the Syrians and the Iranians all fell flat.

And all those sly asides about the dire threats to America? They were funny in 2003, but they barely raise a smile in 2007.

Times have changed, and he's going to have to come up with new material rather than rehashing his greatest hits. It's not just that his timing is off, it's the content - blasting Baghdad to rubble in the pursuit of peace seemed witty and original once, but it's just tired now.

Two out of ten, I'm putting on a Richard Pryor DVD instead.

No comments: