Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Politics of Self-Interest

One of the most commonly heard cries of the British blogger is the loud call for a return to the Darwinian economic nirvana of the 1980's, when the haves had more and have-nots could go piss up a rope.

Not that that state of affairs has ever changed in the UK, of course, but you'd never know it to hear the modern Thatcherite complain. The only real difference between then and now is that it's now mandatory that Mum work full-time, families are up to their eyes in debt and the price of international airfares and consumer electronics have dropped.

Ah, the British - give us a wide-screen TV and a fortnight in Tenerife, and we're anybody's.

Shock news today, then, as the Bank of England raises the interest rate to 5.25%, thus adding sixteen pounds a month to the repayments of those with £100,000 mortgages.

No point in handing out the links, since the last thing I need is a swarm of moaning Tories cluttering up such comments as I get - suffice to say there's already talk of stagflation and a return to the cruel economy of the '70s.

Given that I don't have a pot to piss in and have spent the last eleven years handing between thirty and forty percent of my salary to grasping landlords who keep deposits and refuse to fix broken central heating in January, there's something I'd like to say to depressed monetarists...










Boo-Hoo, Wank-Wank.


Here endeth my lesson in the politics of self-interest - enraged homeowners can call me a prick in comments.

It'll make a nice change from them showing off their blonde wood floors and telling me how cheap it all was, and how I really need to get up to Ikea.

No comments: