Saturday, December 02, 2006

I May Be Drunk, But You Are An Idiot, And In The Morning I Will Be Sober

They say that the people get the government they deserve, although I don't recall napalming any kids picnics.

Rather than bitch and moan about the authoritarian instincts and hamfisted incompetence of our elected leaders, I thought I'd do a bit of research into those truly responsible - the population of Great Britain.

And guess what I found?

"Nearly two-thirds of Britons think the fiery Italian sauce Arrabiata is a sex infection, according to a survey on Friday."

I'll let you ponder the implications of that little fact.

"One in five British children cannot find the UK on a map of the world, a magazine's research suggests.

National Geographic Kids said it also found fewer than two thirds of children were able to correctly locate the US. The magazine, which questioned more than 1,000 six to 14-year-olds, said it found several London children did not know they lived in England's capital."

So why are our elected leaders so utterly crass? Rather than complaining at length, perhaps we would do well to look for explanations a little closer to home.



Update!: Unsurprisingly, it would appear that stupidity is not a purely British condition.

No comments: