Sunday, October 29, 2006

Mortal Threats to the Nation

Praise be, Scotland Yard has drawn up recommendations for the criminalisation of flag-burning during public demonstrations.

As the Republicans have proved in America, nothing could be more important to the well-being of the nation than an impassioned debate on this critical issue.

Speaking as one who regards freedom of speech as a fundamental right, I'm dead against these proposals, which would also ban individuals from covering their faces. It's alarming how police and politicians in the UK, faced with practically any problem, reach instinctively for prohibitions.

Free speech is an absolute right and attempts to ban even unappealing behaviours such as this should be ferociously resisted. As Voltaire didn't say, I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

And if you disagree, I'll come round and burn your fucking house down.

Er, can I say that?

No comments: