Saturday, September 02, 2006

My Incredibly Profound Patriotism


In honour of Scottish football team's imminent victory over the mighty Faeroe Islands (5-0 at the time of writing).

An excellent result, and one that is in no way diminished by the fact that the crowd attending the game in Glasgow is larger than the population of the Faeroe Islands themselves.

But every Scotland game causes me to wince as the national anthem is played - "Flower of Scotland", for those not in the know, is a bagpipe-laden dirge that presents the country as a land of sheep-rearing teuchters.

I'd like to use this post to call for an entirely better national anthem, one that evokes Scottish pride in their green and mountainous land, the many achievements of our citizens through the centuries and our solemn respect for the traditions that our ancestors have bequeathed to us.

Only one candidate meets all of these criteria - I give you Donald Where's Your Troosers by Andy Stewart.


"I've just come down from the Isle of Skye,
I’m no very big and I'm awful shy,
And the lassies shout when I go by,
"Donald where’s your troosers."

Let the wind blow high,
let the wind blow low,
Through the streets in my kilt I'll go,
And all the lassies shout hello
Donald where's your troosers."

Imagine 60,000 Scottish voices raised to the heavens - intimidating, noble and dignified.

That'll be 6-0, by the way.

No comments: