Sunday, September 17, 2006

Liberte, Egalite et Stupidite

From a recent edition of the International Herald-Tribune...

"Far-right politicians criticized France soccer players Lillian Thuram and Patrick Viera for inviting evicted squatters to watch Wednesday's European Championship qualifying game against Italy.

"Why don't they go even further and invite these illegal immigrants to stay in their homes?" said Philippe de Villiers, a far right presidential hopeful... "It's always interesting to see billionaires give lessons to society."

"Thuram has defended the team in the past against accusations by extreme right leaders that its players are not "French" enough."

People like Philipe De Villiers always put me in a difficult position, morally speaking.

After all, I detest them because they are very racist, and I deplore all forms of bigotry. It's alarming to see public figures making such statements.

On the other hand, I also hate French Nazis because they're a bunch of brie-eating Froggy bastards.

I think I'll side with the footballers, just to be on the safe side.

Thuram - Has never been mocked to his face for being called "Lillian".

Update!: It's just occurred to me that you always hear blowhards on the TV and on the bus complaining about bogus asylum seekers, but you never hear them mentioning the "radical" or "bodacious" immigrants.

I don't know what to lament first, the kneejerk racism of my fellow man or the Americanisation of the Scots tongue.

No comments: