Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Laughter Died In My Throat When I Realised You Were a Communist

Apologies for the brief hiatus, the bevvy is a siren whose plaintive song is too powerful to resist. Particularly after having my night ruined by Lius bloody Saha.

Still, I arrive back to discover a marked uptick in hits at my page thanks to links from various bloggers. One in particular is Mr. Eugenides, a fellow Scot who pronounces my politics "deeply suspect".

Understandable, since my posts are strewn with fascist imagery. Still, this is a great excuse to break out some of my favourite nuttiness from around the internet, on one of my favourite subjects - the impossibility of enjoying the artistic works of the politically radioactive.

I imagine many readers will be familiar with the movie 28 Days Later, an above average British zombie shocker from 2002. Nothing particularly innovative about it, beyond some excellent super 8 photography.

Nonetheless, the movie provoked the ire of sensitive souls. David Hogberg at Blogcritics was aghast at the shoddy treatment the film gave to the military, who are depicted as being little better than the zombies themselves...

"Alas, as is so often the case in the film industry, the military just can't be a force for good. The soldiers set up the broadcast in the hopes of luring some women for a bit of nooky, the forced kind...

...Chances are it probably fit their stereotypes of the military. A bunch of thuggish soldiers willing to engage in rape given their just desserts by a scrawny geek--what could be more fitting?

28 Days Later might have been a great horror film had Boyle and Garland worked harder to come up with a fitting ending. Instead, they let their political views ruin it."

I must confess that this subtext, while obvious, eluded me on my first viewing. It's also eluded me when watching movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Big Red One, Black Hawk Down, Hamburger Hill or any other non-Vietnam war movie I've ever seen.

Suburban dad and general disapprover of modernity James Lileks was irked by the absence of guns from the movie...

"I wondered why our heroes were defending themselves against the zombies with baseball bats - guys, why don’t you just shoot them? Oh - right. England. Well, this’ll learn you. Never give up your guns. There might be zombies about."

I imagine that Lileks is kidding us on here, although I wonder why this thought occurred to him and not to me.

Finally, I decided to seek out the opinion of Jesus on the matter. The Lord, as it turns out, is unamused...

"There is a strong message delivered through this work, a message that "people kill people... and always have"... I strongly urge any Christian with a tender heart to avoid this film... The scriptures tell us to "guard your heart with all diligence" and I say use this as a measuring stick for this or an other film."

Other reviewers on the page urge similar caution, noting that the movie is "spoiled by humanist elements". Dale, 19, warns us to "Avoid this work of the Devil".

Christians, of course, have an excuse for allowing their ideology to ruin their enjoyment of artistic endeavours, as they have the approval of the Lord to do so. Secular types, on the other hand, cannot point to such lofty principles in their defence.


Cillian Murphy - Scion of the Evil One

All of which is apropos of absolutely nothing, but in the spirit of reciprocity I'd like to point you to the pages of the savagely humorous Larry Teabag, the sober and considered Definition Britain, the sharp political musings of Europhobia, the fragrant Not Saussure, the aptly named Devil's Kitchen and the deeply misguided David Duff.

From the remaining dregs of my nationalism, I'll link to anyone from Scotland who has a blog and alerts me to the fact, provided there are no obvious swastikas or shrines to Osama on your site.

That kind of thing is rampant in the land of the thistle.

No comments: