Friday, September 01, 2006

In Which The Author Pretends To Be Refined

This week, I've been enjoying reading Julian Baggini's coffee table masterpiece "The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten".

Baggini poses moral and philosophical questions and invites the reader to perform "thought exercises", presumably with the intent of accustoming our pop-culture fixated generation to the basics of philosophy.

So here's a moral question: what would it take for you to renounce your religion?

I ask because of the witterings of this guy, who castigates two Fox News journalists who were recently kidnapped and forced to convert to Islam. Apparently, they were nought but pussies who wussed out when threatened with death, and they tarnish the image of the West. This guy is not alone in holding this opinion, but I'll let you do your own Google search.

I personally would pretend to convert to Islam in exchange for a free beer and a bowl of pretzels.

I'm interested to find out - how big a bribe would you have to be offered before you made a fraudulent conversion to whichever religion you find most laughable?

I'd gladly spend ten minutes in prostrate worship of Haile Selassie if the Rastafarians offered me a grand in cold hard cash, and I wouldn't pause to think of my eternal soul for two seconds.

As an addendum, if I was to go out of evening, wind up the worse for drink and accidentally have sex with the niece of the world's most wanted man, would that make me anti-British, anti-American, pro-terrorist or just the kind of guy who can't keep it in his trousers?

Wafa Bin Laden - Less attractive when seen close-up.

No comments: